Support when you need it …
Facing the breakdown of a relationship is an emotional and often confusing time and seeking legal advice can seem like a daunting prospect.
Thankfully, our specialist team, who deal in all aspects of family law, are on hand to offer unbiased, understanding legal advice and support.
Whatever family-related issue you are facing from divorce to sorting out the financial aspects of a separation, making arrangements for the children or creating a pre or post nuptial agreement, our dedicated in-house team can help. We have a specialist Child Care Department who deal with children cases where the Local Authority are involved.
When it comes to dealing with family matters we understand that emotions may be running high. Our experienced legal team are able to anticipate this and where possible adopt a conciliatory approach. The Department is led by Head of Department and Partner, Ruth Jones, supported by fellow Partner Peter Dadswell along with Solicitors Deepa Tanna, Rebecca Wallis, Bina Modi, Della Phillips, Nick Herring, Kerry Blount and Emma Hennessey. The team is completed by Paralegals Kate Rich and Jane Sharratt.
Working together the team are on hand to support clients through what can be a difficult time, explaining everything in our characteristic jargon-free, plain speaking way. In fact, we put client communication at the heart of everything we do, keeping clients informed every step of the way, in a way that is best for them whether that is face to face, via email or over the phone.
What’s more because of our transparent practices you will be informed of the costs throughout the case with no hidden surprises at the end. Whilst Legal Aid is limited, as an approved supplier of legal services we hold a contract with the Legal Aid Agency, enabling publicly funded work to be carried out subject to the circumstances and financial position of the client.
When acting for clients, the family team deal with a wide range of matters in addition to those above, including:
- Drafting of divorce proceedings, judicial separation and dissolution of civil partnerships.
- Advising on all children issues including obtaining ‘Live with Orders’ (previously known as residence) and ‘Spend Time with Orders’ (previously known as contact) as well as obtaining ‘Specific Issue Orders’ and ‘Prohibited Steps Orders’.
- Advising on child abduction issues under The Hague Convention
- Drafting pre-nuptial and post-nuptial contracts
- Drafting of separation deeds
- Advising cohabitees on aspects of their separation including proceedings under TOLATA.
- Advising on a full range of financial aspects following marital breakdown, including child maintenance, spousal maintenance, pension sharing/offsetting or attachment orders, division of capital assets including complex business structures/offshore trusts. We are able to liaise with other professionals both in-house and external such as accountants and IFAs.
- Obtaining injunctions including non-molestation (personal protection) injunctions, ‘Occupation Orders’ (regulating who can live in a property) and ‘Freezing Orders’ (freezing/setting aside Injunctions relating to financial assets).
- Representing and advocating for clients in the courts at all levels.
The team’s extensive experience and in-depth procedures relate to all family and relationship issues and enable the team to provide clients with the very best advice, guiding them through what is often one of the most stressful periods of their lives.
Many members of the team are recognised by the Law Society and Resolution as being experts in their field.
To find your local office and to discuss your specific requirements contact us.