I have received a statutory demand, do I need a solicitor?

It is important that you deal with the statutory demand quickly to prevent a bankruptcy petition being issued against you.  If the money is due, you will need to make payment.  If you are unable to make payment, you may wish to contact the creditor and agree a repayment plan or look at other options such as an individual voluntary arrangement.  If the debt is disputed, you will need to make an application to the court asking for the statutory demand to be set aside (if this cannot be agreed with the creditor).  You have a limited amount of time to deal with a statutory demand and, therefore, if you require any assistance in dealing with the statutory demand, you need to obtain advice quickly.