I have been forced to marry someone I don’t love, what can I do?

Forced marriage is against the law and if you are under 18 it is classed as child abuse.  You should always have a choice about if you want to get married and who you want to get married to and you do have a right to say no.  If you are worried that you are going to be forced into a marriage you do not want, the main thing is that you tell someone, this could be a teacher, or another adult that you trust.  You could report it to the police. You can also contact the Forced Marriage Unit (+44(0)2070080151).  If you are at the airport, you can speak to the security officers or the police who will be able to help you.  If you have already been forced into a marriage, then your solicitors can apply for a forced marriage protection order, (this can also be applied for if you fear that you are being threatened with a forced marriage), such an order is designed to protect you and is normally dealt with as an emergency application without notice to other parties so that protection is in place straight away.  If you are worried about attending court, to obtain a forced marriage protection order, then various arrangements can be put into place to protect you.

Click here to see the Facebook Page, or here to see the Government site for more information