I am in a civil partnership, can I get divorced?

Bringing an end to a civil partnership involves slightly different terminology than bringing an end to a marriage.  You can apply to dissolve (end) your civil partnership provided you have been in the registered civil partnership for at least one year.  The process is fairly similar to divorce in that you send paperwork to the court to ask for permission to end your civil partnership.  You do not normally need to attend the court if you are just dealing with the paperwork application for dissolution. The grounds for ending a civil partnership are that the relationship has irretrievably broken down and this is proved in one of four ways:

  1. Unreasonable behaviour
  2. Desertion
  3. Separation for more than two years with consent
  4. Living apart for more than five years