From here you will find answers to the most frequently asked questions across all our services. Using the filter simply choose either business or individual to access the complete range of services available. Can’t find the answer you are looking for? Contact us to discuss your query.

Can I recover all of my legal fees back form the debtor?


Whilst all court fees are added to the debt, the solicitor’s recoverable costs are fixed by the court and in some instances, do not fully cover the costs involved. However, in most cases the interest claimed in the proceedings makes up for any shortfall.

Can I claim compensation on the debt?


Compensation and interest can be claimed in commercial contracts pursuant to the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 as long as your terms of contact do not specify alternative rates. Please click here for further details.

Can I claim interest on the debt?


Yes! If your terms contain a clause in relation to interest, or interest can be claimed under the court rules. Please click here for further details.

How long will it take to get my money back off a debtor?


There is no telling what stage of the debt recovery process will produce a positive outcome. Many pay following the issue of our seven-day letter but it is sometimes necessary to take the action as far as enforcement. Our aim is to get from one step to the other in the shortest amount of time, whilst maintaining pressure on the debtor to settle sooner rather than later. Please click here for details of the debt recovery flowchart.

How much will it cost to recover a debt?


Our costs are fixed on a stage by stage basis (letter, issue, judgment etc.) Please click here to see details of our costs and those of 3rd parties (court etc.) involved in recovering your debt.

How can I recover what is owed to me in Scotland?


Claims can be brought against Scottish debtors under the Civil Jurisdiction and Judgments Act here in the UK and then enforced through the Scottish Sheriff’s Office. Please contact us for full details.

I have a judgment how can I enforce it?


We can take on your case for you and arrange for enforcement either in the County Court of High Court depending on the size of your judgment. Please click here for details of enforcement options or contact us for further details.

What is the process for recovering a debt? 


Our service can be tailored to meet your needs. Please click here to see a flowchart of the standard recovery process or contact us for more information.

What rights do grandparents have?


Grandparents do not have parental responsibility of their grandchildren so their rights are limited. They may however apply for a Child Arrangements Order or Special Guardianship Order in their own private law proceedings. Alternatively, if public law care proceedings are issued then grandparents may put themselves forward as alternative carers.

Can you stop an adoption?


An adoption order can only be made with the consent of all those who hold parental responsibility or a court order dispensing with their consent. Consent will only be dispensed with if the child’s welfare requires that it should be. This is a very high test and when “nothing else will do”. If the court has made a placement order allowing the local authority to place a child for adoption, an application can be made to revoke the order but first you will need to get the permission of the court. Permission will only be granted if the court has seen a significant change in circumstances since the order was made.

Once a placement order has been made, and subsequently an application is made to adopt the child, the court will only make such an order if the welfare of the child requires it. A parent can seek to oppose the adoption but the court will only allow them to do so if they have the permission of the court. The court will give the permission if there has been a change in circumstances since the placement order was made.