From here you will find answers to the most frequently asked questions across all our services. Using the filter simply choose either business or individual to access the complete range of services available. Can’t find the answer you are looking for? Contact us to discuss your query.

What will happen at a case conference?


The purpose of a case conference is to consider whether a child is suffering or is likely to suffer significant harm as a result of the care provided to them. All the key agencies and professionals involved with your family meet to share information regarding your child. Once this is established, the local authority and other agencies will decide what support they can provide to the child and family to reduce and eliminate the risk and it will formulate a plan as to when and how this support will be delivered.

I want to see my adopted children, what can I do?


You can apply for an Order of the Court for post-adoption contact. However, you will need to ask for the court’s permission to make the application. In deciding whether to grant permission the court will consider the risk of the proposed application disrupting the child’s life and any harm it may cause, the applicant’s connection to the child and any representations made by the child, the local authority or the adoptive parents. Such orders are very rare.

I want to see my children in care but I am not allowed, what can I do?


The local authority has a duty to promote reasonable contact between you and your children. This could be anything from weekly visits to supervised contact at a children’s centre, unless it has obtained a court order limiting or terminating your contact. You should speak to the social worker and seek legal advice in order to challenge the local authority’s decision.

How long does it take to go through care proceedings at court?


Once care proceedings are issued there is a statutory time limit of 26 weeks to conclude the matter. However, this can be increased by up to eight weeks at a time in exceptional circumstances The court will only extend the time limit if it feels it is necessary in order to deal with the case justly.

What is a supervision order?


A supervision order places a duty on the local authority to advise, assist and befriend a child which can take many forms, such as one to one support or frequent visits to the child’s home. It also provides the local authority with the power to give effect to the order. Crucially, it does not give the local authority parental responsibility and they cannot remove the child without the consent of the parents or a court order.

What is a care order?


A care order places a child in the care of the local authority until he or she reaches 18 or the order is revoked. This provides the local authority with parental responsibility in respect of the child and allows it to make decisions regarding the child’s upbringing, such as with whom the child is to live and to regulate contact. The local authority must consult with the parents and involve them in the decision making. It can only be made if the local authority satisfies the court there is evidence that the child/ren are suffering, or likely to suffer, significant harm attributable to the care they are receiving, and that it is proportionate and in the children(s) best interests they are made the subject of an order

What is an interim care order?


Where an application is made for a care order, the court may make a temporary order called an interim care order placing a child in the care of the local authority until it makes a final decision. The order provides the local authority with parental responsibility.

An interim care order allows the local authority to make decisions regarding your children until the final hearing, subject to certain exceptions, however, they must consult with the parents. The local authority will be able to decide with whom the child is to live.

I have been served with an emergency protection order, what is it?


This is an order allowing a child to be removed from their carers where there are reasonable grounds to believe that the child is at immediate risk of significant harm. It is an order “requiring exceptional justification”. So long as the order lasts the local authority will share limited parental responsibility with you and others who have parental responsibility. It will enable the local authority to make significant decisions regarding where your child lives and who he/she can see and when. An Emergency Protection Order can last up to eight days but this can be extended once by a court for up to a further seven days.

I have been told I can’t continue in a relationship with my partner due to the safety of my children, what can I do?


The local authority cannot force you to end your relationship with your partner. However, you will almost definitely need a solicitor if it is alleged that your partner has, or is, significantly harming your children or that they present a risk of significant harm to your children. The local authority may use this as grounds to remove your children from you. They may also allege that, by continuing the relationship, you cannot adequately protect your children from harm, which would constitute grounds for removal.

I have been told that my children will be taken into care, what should I do?


You should seek legal advice immediately. The local authority can only place children in care with their parents’ consent or with a court order. We can evaluate the evidence quickly and advise you on the next steps.